Thursday, February 20, 2014

Breakthrough in Guatemala

From left to right:
Carolina (Missionary), Byron (LAMP Director), Tedd (LEI Missionary), Karen & Andy (LAMP founders)

We thank God for the breakthrough that He orchestrated during our annual January meetings with our strategic partner LAMP - a group dedicated to doing literacy ministry through local churches in North Central Guatemala.   Over the past two years, the workers at LAMP have been transitioning out of salaried positions into faith-based ministry.  This has been one of the most difficult transition of their lives as they’ve encountered all kinds of trials, uncertainty, and suffering.  It’s also been in a great period of growth as such extreme hardship always forges a fresh and profound dependence on God that could not otherwise have been discovered.  
A very memorable fish fry at Samuel and Maria's home 

Going into the January meeting, the LAMP team was discouraged about the idea of full-time gospel work and receiving support from others.  They had almost thrown in the towel altogether.  As we met together that week, we felt the Spirit of God working to confirm His calling on their lives.  One pivotal moment was when a missionary from Colombia read this passage from Jeremiah:

"The  Lord  said to me,   “Before I formed you in your mother’s womb  I chose you. Before you were born I set you apart. I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations.”  I answered, “Oh, Lord  God ,  I really do not know how to speak well enough for that,  for I am too young.”     The  Lord  said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ But go  to whomever I send you and say whatever I tell you.   Do not be afraid of those to whom I send you,  for I will be with you to protect  you,” says the  Lord.”

The word was speaking to them and to all of us, confirming and re-igniting the mission that God has created us to do.  He knew us even before we were born and set us apart for righteousness and for His work.  We are unworthy and inadequate in so many ways, yet he still chooses to use us if we’re willing to surrender to it.  It was a beautiful breakthrough and one for which we had been waiting and praying for a long time.  Please continue to pray for them now as they raise their own local support team there in Guatemala.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...